hopelessbibliophile

Jessica (HDB)

Little Heaven by Nick Cutter

Little Heaven: A Novel - Nick Cutter

Some quick thoughts about this one, because I still can't make my brain write anything resembling a full review and, honestly, I don't really want to force it.

* The beginning was solid, and the Long Walker is a great creation! I almost felt like if he would have just stayed a mystery, like in the beginning, it would have made it more terrifying overall.

* The characters were all fairly great, although I wish there had been more time for more of their backstory. The fact that I felt so strongly for them, after only a few chapters, says a lot.

* The middle of this book was an uphill battle. At some point it became all about blood, gore, and as much dismemberment as possible rather than sticking to that original tension that was built. I found myself sighing and hoping people would just hurry up and die so we could move on.

* The ending was GOOD. Really good. Not quite as wrapped up as I wished, but it still definitely pulled this story out of the mud for me. If only that middle hadn't been so rough...

* I think Dan Simmons' book, since I'm reading it at the same time, ruined this a bit for me. His writing is so much more atmospheric, so much more realistic, that the paranormal aspect of Little Heaven was more difficult for me swallow. I wanted MORE.