hopelessbibliophile

Jessica (HDB)

Reading progress update: I've read 31%.

Summer of Night - Dan Simmons

Ugh, this book! I'm so attached to so many of these kids. So totally in awe of their bravery in the face of some terrifying occurrences that, let's be honest, would send me running for home and screaming my head off the whole time. I think I've said it before, but what's so powerful about books like this is the fact that all of this happens to kids. Parents are gone. Busy with their own lives. Unaware what madness their kids are currently facing. Or, worse yet, uncaring. It breaks my heart, but also makes me feel proud of these characters. They're made of stronger stuff then I would ever be.

Someone should have warned me though that a beloved pet dies in this book, rather unexpectedly, because this was me on the train this morning:

Don't worry, it's nothing gory. Just sad. And the scene later on in that chapter just made me want to sob more. I am nothing if not a sucker for good animal companions in stories.

Also the relationship that one of these characters has with his bed-ridden grandmother has me equally feeling like this. Simmons is just tugging all the strings. Here making me feel dread. There making me feel pure terror. Then just making my eyes tear up.

I'm in love with this book. And also scared to finish it.