hopelessbibliophile

Uprooted
Naomi Novik

DNF @ 25%

Ghost Omnibus, Vol. 1 - Eric Luke, Adam Hughes, Terry Dodson

Ugh. I just can't with this.

The only reason I picked this up in the first place, was because it was free to read on Comixology Unlimited. I'm trying to expand outside of my comfortable zone, and the artwork on the first few pages was tempting enough to make me want to give this a chance.

But... argh. THE DIALOGUE. It's stilted. I think that Ghost's character is supposed to be some type of ultimate feminist, since it's clear from the beginning that essentially loathes all of mankind. Men are terrible. Men are selfish. Men are evil. Blah, blah, blah. This is what feminism looks like through the eyes of a male writer, I guess. It's tedious. Everything is buried under this revenge fantasy and, somehow despite the premise, Ghost is just a weak character. Weak, weak, weak.

I have been told that Kelly Sue DeConnick did a reboot of this recently, so I'm going to give that a shot instead. If a feminist perspective, and a discussion of the treatment of women, were the purposes of this series, DeConnick should actually do it some justice.