hopelessbibliophile

Jessica (HDB)

The Wraith: Welcome to Christmasland

The Wraith - Joe Hill

Since I read, and totally loved, NOS4A2 I had to check out the graphic novels that go along with it. I went into these blind, and only found out after the fact that this first volume comprises issues #1 through #6 and is a prequel to the book. If you've ever wondered how Charles Manx III got to be the terrifying old man he is, or where the Wraith came from, this graphic novel holds all your answers.

The odd part is that I'm not sure I 100% enjoyed this as much as I expected to. The art, is horrifyingly perfect for the story. That I'll happily admit. It's the type of art that is dark, bloody and violent. If you are squeamish at all when it comes to gore and children together, you might want to stay away from this book. Truth be told though, if you've read the book you should already know what I'm talking about.

In terms of the story, I just felt like it was really slow moving. Maybe it's because I need to continue on with these, but Joe Hill's writing prowess just didn't really come through. Unlike Locke & Key, I didn't feel that same tension and deep need to keep flipping the pages. Maybe this is a slow burn, but for now I'm on the fence.