hopelessbibliophile

Progress: 45/352pages
The Dovekeepers
Alice Hoffman

Transformers: Robots in Disguise, Vol 5

Transformers: Robots In Disguise Volume 5 - John Barber, Livio Ramondelli, Atilio Rojo, Dheeraj Verma, Andrew Griffith

Ugh. I don't mean that in a bad way, but more in a "my emotions are so frayed at this point that I can't form a coherent thought" way. I sat and tried to figure out what panels to share with you, but the simple fact is that you really just have to experience this as a whole. I don't know if any of you have ever had that moment where you absolutely hated a particular character and then, unexpectedly, you start to feel something more for them. Reading the previous volumes of Robots in Disguise should have warned me that nothing is solidly black and white, but it still surprised the heck out of me.

More than anything, this particular volume really focuses on the link between Shockwave and Soundwave. Up until now, both of these characters were on my most disliked list. Shockwave, because he's an unfeeling monster. Soundwave, because he was one of the biggest supporters of the Decepticons and of Megatron. Now, though? Oh, I don't know. I kind of almost feel sorry for Shockwave. (Yes, yes I know. It's madness.) As for Soundwave, well, I'm beginning to realize that he truly believed that change was coming. Change for the better. He put his faith in someone who he believed could bring about peace, even if it came at a cost. I don't know how to hate him anymore.

What I really liked about this volume was that it put a lot of the Decepticon lore into perspective. Let's be honest, they're still evil in the fact that they're willing to kill anyone who gets in their way. However, learning more about the way Shockwave was created, learning more about why Soundwave was so adamant about his cause, it's made me feel like I better understand why these characters don't find themselves in the wrong.

Is it crazy that I'm terrified what's coming next? With a title like Dark Cybertron, it can't be anything good.