hopelessbibliophile

The Dovekeepers
Alice Hoffman

I Hate Fairyland #2

I Hate Fairyland #2 - Skottie Young, Jean-Francois Beaulieu

Gert is back in a new issue! Which is hell for her, and pure delight for me. Poor Gert. For those of you just catching on to this series, let me give you a bit of a rundown. A young girl is transported to a magical world. Just what every child wants, right? Gert would disagree, and I'd suggest that when she does you just nod, smile, and step away.

Yeah... Gert is special. She's also hilarious! A 34 year old, trapped in an 8 year old's body, Gert has some understandable rage. A magical key is the only thing that can take her home. Her quest should have taken a day. It's been over 20 years...

What I love most about this whole series is that it's such a shock to see so much cartoon blood flying around, but the art is so whimsical that it's hard to look away. Skottie Young has figured out that perfect balance, where you'll find yourself giggling and cringing in equal parts.

Will Gert ever make it out of Fairyland? I don't know. I can tell you that everyone else in this story will be lucky to make it out alive. There's a swath of illustrated bodies that have been felled, and I see more in the future.