hopelessbibliophile

Jessica (HDB)

The Last of August (Charlotte Holmes Novel)
Brittany Cavallaro
Uprooted
Naomi Novik

The Fuse Volume 1: The Russia Shift

The Fuse Volume 1: The Russia Shift - Justin Greenwood, Antony Johnston

A police procedural set in space. That pretty much sums up this first volume of The Fuse. When I first read the synopsis, I was intrigued. Why wouldn't I be? Cops in space. There's so much fertile soil around that premise. So much to work with. I wanted to believe that this would turn my preconceived notions about this kind of story line on their head. Alas, it wasn't to be.

While the story line in this first volume is definitely solid, it isn't particularly interesting. We have our two main characters, one a hardened and jaded beat cop, the other a fresh faced volunteer from Earth. Of course they don't get along right away. They banter, they argue, and at the end of it all they finally start to respect one another. Sound familiar? I thought so too. Even the murder that takes place can't really keep things from falling flat. Again, it's a solid plot point. It shakes out the way you'd expect. It just didn't catch me up and keep me reading.

In terms of art, there's nothing really to love here. I was given panels where characters changed body types at random, the ages of people were meaningless (since everyone looked the same), and blood was a random red smudge on the page. There wasn't anything flashy or exciting about this art. It wasn't dark, or gritty. It just was. Again, solid enough to finish up the story line, but nothing overly interesting about it.

Suffice it to say, there's really nothing here to keep me wanting to read on. So, sadly, I won't be continuing on with this series. I'd say give it a shot if you're interested in the premise. Just don't expect anything stellar.