hopelessbibliophile

Jessica (HDB)

The Immortal Heights (Elemental Trilogy)
Sherry Thomas
Keltair's Ride (Hunt for the Shadowmakers Book 1)
Wolfen M.
The Dovekeepers
Alice Hoffman

More Than This by Patrick Ness

More Than This - Patrick Ness

So, the first time that I read More Than This was a month before it actually came out. I was sent an ARC, I read it ravenously, and then I just sat. Sat, and thought. Patrick Ness blew my mind with this book. In fact, I could never wrap my head around how I felt enough to be able to write a review. Recently, when I saw this as a featured audio book at my library, I thought I'd pick it up and give it another shot. It had been long enough that I didn't remember exactly what happened, and I looked forward to getting lost again. I admit it, once again I'm at a total loss for an adequate review. What do you say about a book that shakes you around like a rag doll, and makes you think? You ramble I suppose. Which is what I'm about to do.

Patrick Ness is an evil genius. The way that More Than This is laid out is brilliant. I'd be following along with the story line, comfortable in the fact that I knew what was going on, and then Ness would sweep the rug right out from under me. He never let me get too settled. Instead, this story expertly cobbles together different stories that you wouldn't even think would mesh. This is a science fiction story. It's a romance. It's a contemporary. It's about love and life. Birth and death. All the beauty and utter bleakness that make up the life of one individual. It's sad, scary, and stunning. That's exactly why I don't really know what to say about it.

I think that all you really need to know is that this story isn't always easy to read. There are moments where things become uncomfortably real, and before you know it there are tears leaking from the corners of your eyes. I've always liked that Ness isn't afraid to address real issues. He knows that, as much as society loves to sweep things under the rug, teens face life shattering moments all the time. His characters feel real. You want to hug them. You want to save them. It's maddening that they're inside a book and you can't do either.

Whether you read this in book form, or listen to it on audio, I think you'll be impressed. Both are equally amazing options.