hopelessbibliophile

Jessica (HDB)

Her Sister's Shoes by Ashley Farley

Her Sister's Shoes - Ashley Farley

This book was a pleasant surprise. I'm always willing to sink into a family story, especially when the characters feel realistic. Her Sister's Shoes delivers exactly that. A family full of strong women, each facing down their own problems. A family with a love that transcends anything that comes their way, even when it seems impossible. I was so lost in this book, that I barely set it down. Which is saying a lot, since this story isn't always the happiest one.

Sam, Jackie and Faith were so very different from one another. Ashley Farley built a unique life for each of these women, and it was so interesting to see how they interacted with one another. Sam, a single mother with a disabled teenager. Jackie, the one who married well and built the "perfect" life. Faith, a loving mother in a bad relationship. If you're thinking that there is a lot of drama brewing here, you'd be right. Be warned, there is violence and depression in this story. You'll likely need tissues to make it through.

What I liked most about Her Sister's shoes was the vivid picture of family love that was laid out in front of me. These sisters couldn't have been more different, and each was dealing with their own brand of crazy. However the one thing that remained true was that they were there for one another. What can I say? I'm a sucker for sister stories. At the end of the day, all you have is your family. Sure, it was a little predictable at times, I'll be honest. I foresaw a lot of what was coming. Still, it was easy to forgive that and just enjoy this for what it was.

My one gripe, and I suppose I should have expected this, was that everything ties up too neatly. There is so much going on in this book. Sam's family is dealing with everything from domestic abuse, to an ailing parent. Truly, it's a lot for any one family. Despite all of that, I was willing to suspend disbelief and read on. I kept hoping that the ending would be something unique. Something poignant. Instead, predictably, it all wrapped up with a happy little bow.

Final verdict? A great story for people who love reading about family love. Get a box of tissues though. You're going to need them.