hopelessbibliophile

Jessica (HDB)

The Last of August (Charlotte Holmes Novel)
Brittany Cavallaro
Uprooted
Naomi Novik

Ms. Marvel, Vol 3: Crushed

Ms. Marvel Vol. 3: Crushed - G. Willow Wilson, Adrian Alphona

This is so so good. You're probably all sick of my fangirling over Kamala Khan, but I refuse to stop until every single one of you has this series in your TBR piles! Yes, it's that good. I've said it before, I'll say it again, I really wish this series had been out when I was a teen. I love it so much now, and I can only wonder how much more it would have given me when I was a teen. There is so much good stuff wrapped up in G. Willow Wilson's epic! I'm smitten.

From the first panel, a very cocky (and highly adorable) Loki stole my heart. I can't express enough how much I love the characters that flit in and out of Ms. Marvel's life. In this particular installment, Kamala has a lot to deal with. She's still trying to balance her normal home life, with her superpowers. She's still trying to be a teenager, while also saving the world. How do you balance something like that? Now, however, Kamala faces the most difficult challenge of all. The one thing that can bring any teen to their knees in an instant. Heartbreak.

I loved all the messages that came through in this volume. The idea of love knowing no boundaries, especially religious ones. The fact that girls are so quick to blame themselves any time something bad happens to them (there's a nod to women and rape shaming here). Even the fact that someday, quite soon, Kamala might have to kill someone. We all know that superheroes have that expectation, but Kamala is only a teenager. How will she deal with it?

Ah, so much good stuff. Friendship. Love. Family. This series has so far been packed to the brim with nothing but things I adore. I'm only sad that I'm going to have to wait a while for the next volume to come out.