hopelessbibliophile

Naomi Novik

The Hit by Melvin Burgess

The Hit - Melvin Burgess

*deep sigh*

Okay, I'm going to try to keep this short and sweet. If I go too far into my feelings on this book, this might end up as a novel instead of a review. As it stands, I think the majority of my thoughts can be summed up in one question.

WHAT IN THE HELL DID I JUST READ?

Pardon the outburst, but seriously I don't know what the purpose is of this book. I think the overall message was set out to be that life is precious. You know the saying "Live fast, die young?" Well, I think Melvin Burgess was trying to say that's a bunch of bull honky. The problem is, it's buried under a myriad of other things. Like, "Don't do drugs!" and "Family is important!" and even "Women are just there for sex!". Oh, I'm sorry. Did that not fit with the others? Sadly, that's a message that comes through loud and clear in this story.

The amount of misogyny in this novel is staggering. Every female character is only present either because she's rich, because she's there for sex, or because she's there to be sacrificed. I do believe that you've just alienated a fair amount of your readers, my dear book.

I did make it to the end. Through all the confusing plot lines, crazy messages, and massive amounts violence. By my rules, that means it gets a two star rating. However I can honestly say that I have no desire to ever read this again, and I can't rightly recommend it either.

*woosah* Moving on to greener pastures.